Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Drunken Chicken 1



I was feeling a little bad because I have not cooked anything at all last week and I used to cook everyday. So last Friday I decided to try out some more recipes I found from Christine's Recipe. Since it WAS Friday and I didn't have anything on Saturday, I thought "O What the heck, I'll do Drunken Chicken."

Here is my translation of her recipe:

Ingredients:
- Chicken 1.6 lbs (I used chicken leg)
- Chinese Rice Cooking Wine 1L
- Mirin 2 cups
- Palm Sugar 90g
- Water 3 cups
- Soy sauce 200mL (Optional)
- Wolfberry 30pieces (optional)

Instructions:
1. Put the chicken in boiling water and take the chicken out when the water boils again. (This is a method for quick removal of blood water and fat). Dry the chicken.
2. Add the rice cooking wine, mirin, sugar, soy sauce, and 3 cups of water in a deep pot. Stir until and heat until sugar is all melted and mixture is boiling. Turn the fire to low, put in chicken, replace the lid of the pot, and slow cook for about 45-60 minutes. Use a skewer or knife to cut the thickest part of the chicken and check for blood. If there is none then the chicken is cooked.
3. Plate the chicken and pour the sauce over. (If you choose to use wolfberries, you can sprinkle pre-boiled berries, green onions, celery strips, or whatever plating vegies you would like to add) This dish is yummy with rice! :D

I cooked mine in small portions since I was the only one home for dinner (and I have a very small pot). So I reduced all the ingredients by 75%. The end product was yummy but maybe a little bit strong on the alcohol taste. But then again I don't drink much. Please let me know how this goes for you if you decide to try it!

By the way, you should save the left over sauce because my next recipe (which will be posted within 24 hours of this post) will show you another recipe where you can use the sauce. If you don't think you will be able to use the sauce within a week, you can freeze it and thaw for use later.

Original recipe at: http://www.christinesrecipes.com/2010/08/masterchef-drunken-chicken.html#ixzz15znf36rw

No comments:

Post a Comment